Monday, September 19, 2011

I'm feeling all grown up !

This is just a quick check-in because I am so excited about the beginning of this new chapter of my life.

Today I started my internship at the Veteran Affair's Hospital in CT. This place is amazing. I was apprehensive at first because I heard it wasn't that much "one-on-one" therapy which is what I'm doing { for the most part } in class. But then I got to see what these people do. I'm working with a Critical Time Intervention program which basically means we work with homeless vets and work with them therapeutically - the end goal being permanent housing. Instead of sitting in an office all day I get to be out in the community, helping people with almost any and everything you can imagine. I'm a little nervous because I'll be going into people's homes - whether their homes are actual houses, transitional living facilities, the hospital, or even the streets/woods. Because yes, even when people are living in the woods, that is their home and it needs to be treated with respect. And thankfully I had a great experience shadowing Brass City Harvest and learning this important lesson.

I committed myself to a totally new mindset than I had last year. Last year I was so hell bent on not having the experience I expected/wanted that I'm sure I missed out on great learning opportunities. But this year - the times they are a changin'. I need to be extremely open minded, get my creative juices flowing, and just take every opportunity I get. This is like the legit start of my career. Many people's first jobs are a result of their internship. So I gotta get ready to network network network.

P.S. I'm writing this from my new MacBook ! Yes that's right -- no more slow and broken VAIO PC. WOohoo I have been waiting for this day for oh so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment